Friday, January 3, 2014

2013's Best Book

            I can't really remember every single book I read in 2013, but I think that at least one of the best books that read, or more accurately reread, is definitely the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. It's the second time that I read it. The first was in fifth grade, but when my current ELA teacher, Ms. Warren, read an excerpt from the first book, The Sorcerer's Stone, I couldn't believe how unfamiliar it was to me, so I decided to read it again. The Harry Potter books are a thrilling series, (a total of seven books,) taking place in the modern world, where a wizarding world also exists within it. Harry, the main character, is a wizard who grew up in his muggle (humans without the power of magic) aunt's and uncle's household. They treat him quite poorly, but staying at their house and calling it his home would protect him, because Lord Voldemort, the Dark Lord, is after him. Voldemort chose Harry as his "equal," as a prophecy concerning him said that Harry had the potential to destroy him. Harry eventually kills Voldemort at the end of the seventh book. The majority of the series takes place in the English wizarding school, Hogwarts.
            The Harry Potter series is by far one of the best books that I have read in 2013, because it is fantastical, which allows the reader the ability to escape their own lives and their problems, at least for a while. It's a great read that gets you hooked immediately, and you can't stop until you reach the end of the book. When you do finish the book, however, you crave for more, and more, and too soon, the "adventure" that you've been enjoying so much ends. The fantastical elements leads you to enjoy the things that you can't really have, but the books aren't too different that you can't relate to. For example, I really liked the whole magic spells, and flying on broomsticks picture, but I also liked to relate to Ron's problems (one of Harry's best friends), which was the jealousy of having friends getting the spotlight all the time, and sometimes feeling that you're just... there. 
            Another reason why I like the Harry Potter series so much is how J. K. Rowling does such a great job growing Harry up. In so many of the books that I have read, the characters do go through changes, but I feel like they don't really portray the experience of how much adolescents really change during their teens. Harry's changes are really gradual, as in that it doesn't hit you in the face all of a sudden, but you feel it, and you don't realize how much until you start comparing Harry in the first book and Harry in the seventh book. It makes reading the books so real, as if the readers ARE Harrys. 
            Finding books that have an interesting plot AND written with words that fits the content PERFECTLY are rare, but J. K. Rowling has done it. It makes me jealous of how much of a better and thrilling life Harry has compared to mine. The author has not only made reading about Harry's life as if you were living his life, but she has included so many real problems in it that you can relate to too. For me, one of those moments was when Harry was waiting to get his results for his OWLS. He really wanted to be an auror, which are witches and wizards who hunts down the dark witches and wizards. This is a very small problem in the books, but I can really relate to it right now. I am waiting for my high school acceptance letter, which I still have to wait for another two months. It can be really nerve wrecking. Throughout the whole series, several of Harry's loved ones died, and although I can't really relate to this, I know that many other readers can. 
            I thoroughly enjoyed the series, and to all readers, I would highly recommend it (if you haven't already read it, of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment